Porker, The Quest For Independence
A couple of months ago, I took a stab at indie game development, having released small game called, Porker: The Quest for Tastiness. It’s a silly game with a ridiculous premise; become the tastiest pig possible!
It only met the barest definition of a game; it had objectives, levels, a scoring system, win and lose conditions. Nevertheless, those who played it really got a kick out of it, and I enjoyed watching other people enjoy it…sounds a bit voyeuristic, I know, but bare with me :)…
Encouraged by the positive feedback I’d gotten, I decided to beef of the game into what I considered a more complete project:
- Added more levels, additional enemies and power ups
- Tripled the score system
- Included several secrets including bonus stages and puzzles within them
- Created a complex end boss with challenging AI
- Setup a menu/pause system and volume controls
- Made 4 possible endings depending on whether you beat the final boss, and what score you attained when doing so
You can buy a digital copy of the game on GameJolt for $0.99. I hope that this and other projects I will continue to crank out will allow me to earn a living doing this.
Try it yourself, and let me know what you think!